Sunday, August 23, 2009

Cooking with fresh grapes?


Chicken Breasts Veronique
This recipe is from my personal family cookbook, and I think my mom found it in an early Napa Valley wine cookbook. It pairs oranges, a winter crop with grapes, a summer fruit. It is so delicious and beautiful that I crossed the “locavore line” and I bought Aussie oranges to make it. The Thompson grapes were give to by local Italian farmer, Mr. Colucci.

Serves 4
INGREDIENTS:
• 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts halves
• ½ cup of finely diced orange(this is about 1 med size orange)
• zest of the orange
• 1 Tbsp honey
• ½ cup dry white wine
• ¼ tsp dried tarragon
• 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
• 2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in ½ cup cream
• 1 ½ cup Thompson seedless grapes
Sprinkle chicken breasts with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. If they are thick, you can slice them in half lengthwise. If you have the time, place each piece between 2 sheets of was paper and pounding them into ½” cutlets. This will produce a very tender breast.
Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts to butter; sauté until light brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Add chopped orange and zest, honey, white wine. Crush the tarragon between your palms then add to pan.
Cover and simmer gently about 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is done. Remove breasts to a warm platter.
Deglaze the pan with the cream that has the cornstarch mixed in. Bring to simmer, stirring constantly. Add the grapes bring back up to a simmer. Do not boil after adding the cream as it will separate. Pour over the sauce over the chicken breasts,
Bon Appetit!
Ps. It will turn out perfectly if you’re wearing pearls a la Julia Childs, while you are preparing it 

5 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. What wine did you use. I have some Moscato that Ryan and I hate, and not sure if it would work for the wine needed to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a Sauvignon Blanc, but any dry white will work. I had 3 open to taste, see Rocky's tasting notes :-) Moscato might be too sweet. Have you tried soaking peaches in the Moscato and serving for dessert with a biscotti alongside?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brillant idea. I may have to do that. I knew you'd click on the light bulb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why you would want to cross the localvore line for this one. The recipe looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds delicious!Im gonna cook this one alright...right after I find my pearl earrings :) Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete