Saturday, October 3, 2009

What can I make with eggplant?


I hear this question frequently. Of course there’s always ratatouille, but what else? One of the local farmers, Kyle of KM K Farms, is begging me to demo eggplant, so I’m on the lookout for new eggplant recipes that I can make easily on my one burner butane fueled stove. And voila, the October issue of Food & Wine had a vegetarian dish featuring roasted eggplant from my favorite staff chef, Grace Parisi. It was yummy, and best made in an oven to sweeten the veggies, via the hot roasting process. It felt good to ‘eat green’ and meatless. I served it with a side of sliced yellow tomato and fresh cilantro, yogurt on top the dish and naan flat bread. I substituted the canned chickpeas, with soaked garbanzo beans cooked for 12 minutes in my pressure cooker, and switched out the spinach for farm fresh baby Russian kale, de-ribbed and cut into strips.
Unfortunately I can't make this dish on a one burner butane burn stove outdoors, so I’m still looking for a primo eggplant recipe for the demo on Oct 17 


Curried Eggplant with Chickpeas and Spinach
Ingredients
2 large garlic cloves, minced
Kosher salt
2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 medium eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained, or homemade about 2 cups
1/4 cup finely julienned fresh ginger
Freshly ground pepper
One 5-ounce bag baby spinach, or use baby Russian kale, de-ribbed and sliced, 1 ½ “
Warm naan and plain yogurt, for serving
Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 425°.
2. On a work surface, mash the garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt.
3. In a large roasting pan, mix the paste with the curry powder and vegetable oil.
4. Add the eggplant, onion, chickpeas and ginger, season with salt and pepper and toss well.
5. Spread the vegetables in an even layer and roast for about 30 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the eggplant and onion are tender.
6. Stir in the spinach (kale) and roast just until wilted, about 2+ minutes.
7. Serve with warm naan and yogurt.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds soooo good. Thanks for the recipe; Ryan will enjoy that for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very good! I like the different textures brought together in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete