Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fabulous Local Grass Fed Beef Flank Steak


Last month the Visalia our Farmers market began selling grass fed beef from Springville Ranch. Because grass fed beef is more dense than grain fed beef, it needs to be grilled quickly or braised long and slowly. With this is mind, I chose 4 lb stew meat and a flank steak to try it out. I made Jacque Pepin’s beef bourguignon stew, with extra cooking time added to get the beef fork tender. It was delicious. Then the flank steak which I think is the best flank steak I’ve ever eaten. I used our close family friend Iris McLean’s recipe, and because its so good, my copy has lots of spatters. Here's a fresh copy for you to add to your favorites. I always serve potatoes, roasted, mashed or boiled, to savor the delicious marinade that becomes a sauce, after you cook it on the stove top. Be sure to serve this steak medium rare, and sliced on the diagonal, so that it remains tender.

Iris McLean’s Flank Steak

Cook together in a sauce pan:

½ cup chopped medium yellow onion
1 lrg garlic clove, mashed or finely chopped
1 T salad oil
1 can, 10 ½ oz beef broth
½ c catsup
1 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp dry mustard powder
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp oregano

Cool the sauce, then marinade the scored flank steak overnight or for at least 4 hours.
Remove steak from sauce.
Cook steak over a hot BBQ or broil quickly, i.e. 4 mins on the first side, 3 mins second side.
Let meat set/ rest for 5 mins.
Slice diagonally and thinly at right angle to the grain.
Marinade can be cooked and served as a sauce for the meat or potatoes.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't think I was hungry until I read this post. Looks amazing. I agree, grass fed meat is the best.

    ReplyDelete