Sunday, July 29, 2012

Alaskan Halibut in Parchment Paper

My sweetheart went to Alaska where he caught a 73 lb halibut! Needless to say he requested that I find a delicious way to prepare it, while maintaining its lovely mild flavor and flaky texture. So I decided that parchment paper baking would do the trick. The first time I served it, I blanched watermelon radish slices and baby carrots, and added a few chopped chives and shallots as well as thinly slice peeled cucumbers. I then drizzled olive oil and a splash of dry white wine on top of each filet, before twisting the ends of the paper closed. I baked the individual sized portions on a rimmed baking sheet at 350 F for 10+ minutes depending on the thickness of the filets. Be careful opening the packets to serve, as the steam can cause burns.
The second time I prepared the halibut in parchment paper, I used preserved lemons, finely minced with fresh sprig of thyme and the olive oil and white wine. Both versions were delicious and impressive to guests  too.
My fisherman, (tall at 6 ft 4in) and his big catch, the 73lb halibut. This was a BIG fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment